18/7/09

Blind Pilot, 3 Rounds and A Sound, should've been on my list.


Blind Pilot, the band from Portland, Oregon has recently released their debut album “3 Rounds and A Sound”, definitely one of my favorites this year…not sure what happened, but even though I spent so much time listening to their amazing show at the SXSW festival, when it came to making the list, I totally forgot about them.

Israel Nebeker, leads the band along with his long-time collaborator Ryan Dobrowski who also plays the drums. Blind Pilot’s music includes always a delicate and harmonic touch that seems to take you by the hand and carefully guides you to places where everything seems fresh, everything is in place and where all that commotion of our day-to-day is simply behind. At the same time, when you are least expecting it, they free themselves and both the strings and lyrics grab you by the heart, press firmly until that first tear is close to come out…that is when they let go…that is when you hear again the whisper of Nebeker’s voice bringing you back to the same place, where everything is melody, sweet melody…

Below, see a link to their recent show at Daytrotter (4 downloadable songs) and the lyrics to “3 Rounds and A Sound”, their title song, a majestic piece with which they ironically decide to end their album.

This band will be for sure in my final 2009 list…that is, assuming that I am unable to make the same mistake once again…


MM


Blind Pilot – Daytrotter Session – July 15, 2009

3 Rounds and A Sound
Blind Pilot


They're playing our song
They're playing our song
Can you see the lights?
Can you hear the hum?

Of our song
I hope they get it right
I hope we dance tonight
Before we, get it wrong

And the seasons
Will change us new
But you’re the best I've known
and you know me
I could not be stuck on you
If that weren’t true

I was swimming
My eyes were dark
Till you woke me
And told me that opening
is just the start
it was

Now I see you, till kingdom come
You're the one I want
To see me for all the stupid shit I've done

Soiled and six feet under
Killed just like we were
Before you knew you'd know me
And you know me

Blooming up from the ground
3 rounds and a sound
Like whispering you know me
And you know me

So this was our song
This was our song
I still see the lights
I can see them

And the criss-cross
Of what is true, won't get to us
Cause you know me
I could not give up on you
(It wouldn’t feel true)

And the fog of what is right
Won't cover us cause you know me
I could not give up a fight
(Wouldn’t feel right)

2 comentarios:

  1. Uff, bandota Blind Pilot! Mmmm, ok, tomemos a Blind Pilot como el buen Tiba incluyó a Pale Young Gentlemen... pero... efectivamente es del 2008, disponible en Amazon desde julio del año pasado. Sin embargo, al igual que el buen MM yo le entré hasta el inicio del 2009, como al Missiles de los dears y como con Pale... Lo que nos queda es reclamarnos como se nos escaparon el año pasado, y creo que la respuesta es como dice Tiba, estábamos muy ocupados tratando de entender el -For Emma, Forever Ago-, y la opera prima de los Fleet

    ResponderEliminar
  2. De acuerdo, desgraciadamente me confundi ya que el disco recientemente cambio de Label. Fue originalmente distribuido por Expunged Records en Julio de 2008 y recientemente re-distribuido por ATO Records/ATO P&D's. Blind Pilot's my space page indica un release date de 6/9/2009.

    Volviendo a mi post, esta es una prueba mas de que puedo cometer el mismo error mas de dos veces...

    MM

    MM

    ResponderEliminar