28/6/12

2012 Half-year best albums by MM



It is that time of the year when we attempt to summarize the music that has been with us for the past 6 months. This blog allows us to share our stories, our lives and through music we have collectively seen time as it passes by. As I always say, the half-year post is special, and allows you to correct your path, reinforce your amazing findings and look at those things you have somehow missed.

This year has certainly been one filled with new discoveries.

The top part of my list includes new artists that have completely impressed me with their debut albums (Alabama Shakes, Poliça, Porcelain Raft); new releases from favorite artists from previous years (Beach House, Fanfarlo, The Walkmen, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros); albums from artists I just discovered this year (Sharon Van Etten, Allo Darlin); and even some that I have neglected in the past, but cannot ignore anymore (M. Ward).

As I often do, I expand beyond 10 albums, offering another 10 recommendations comprised of extremely good choices. Some of which, in fact, might end up moving to higher places in my list as time progresses but that have either been released very recently or for whatever reason have not had enough time to gain enough momentum yet.

Interestingly (I guess), 4 out of my top 5 albums come from bands with a female lead singer. Similarly, on a not so modest comment, I can proudly say that 9 out of my top 10 picks represent bands that either I’ve already seen live or that I expect to see them live in the near future….lucky me.

Below, my list, I hope you like it…

Enjoy,

MM

(@MMLeiner)


MM – Best Albums- Mid 2012

1- Alabama Shakes - Boys & Girls
2- Sharon Van Etten - Tramp
3- Beach House - Bloom
4- Fanfarlo - Rooms Filled With Light
5- Poliça - Give You The Ghost
6- M. Ward - A Wasteland Companion
7- Allo Darlin’ -  Europe
8- The Walkmen - Heaven
9-  Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros-Here
10- Porcelain Raft - Strange Weekend

Bonus:

11- Lost in the Trees - A Church that Fits Our Needs
12- Alt-J - An Awesome Wave
13- Liars - WIXIW
14- Yellow Ostrich - Strange Land
15- Japandroids - Celebration Rock
16- Bear in Heaven - I Love You, It's Cool
17- Glen Hansard - Rhythm and Repose
18- Perfume Genius - Put Your Back N 2 It
19- Spiritualized - Sweet Heart Sweet Light
20- Hot Chip - In Our Heads






No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario